here are indications that the Chairman of Ejigbo Local Council Development Authority, Kehinde Bamigbetan, who was kidnapped last Monday, might have been released on Saturday.
Although his abductors had reportedly demanded $1m (about N155m), it was not clear if ransom was paid to secure his release.
An online news portal, Premium Times, reports that the Head of Information Unit of the council, Mr. Rabiu Hassan, confirmed the release.
The council chairman was kidnapped near his house in Ejigbo around 11p.m.
When contacted, the acting Police Public Relations Officer, Damascus Ozoani, said he was not aware that Bamgbetan had been rereleased.
When our correspondent contacted Hassan for more confirmation, his phone was switched off.
Also, a local government chairman in the state, who preferred anonymity, said he was not sure if Bamigbetan had been released.
“What we heard was that he had been released but as I am talking to you, nobody is sure. We are yet to see anybody to confirm that he or she had seen him,” he said.
Another LG chairman, who also did not want his name to be mentioned, said, “What I heard was that he had been released and had contacted his family members. But I have not been able to get in touch with him.”
Bamigbetan, a former Chief Press Secretary to former Governor Bola Tinubu of Lagos, was kidnapped while being driven home by his driver.
The kidnappers reportedly shot into the air around 11pm as Bamigbetan was being driven into his street in Ejigbo. The kidnappers beat his driver before taking the council boss away.