Real Time Analytics

Galaxy Note 7 Explodes While Man Is Sleeping


Not convinced Samsung’s Note 7 recall is a serious issue? According to a report on Reddit, one unit exploded while hooked up to Samsung’s stock charger, causing nearly $1,800 AUD ($1,383 USD) in property damage.

This particular incident reportedly occurred in an Australian hotel room while a man was sleeping.

“My brand new Note 7 exploded this morning while I was still asleep, it was plugged in and charging,” said Redditor Crushader.

Apparently, Crushader’s unit is now completely fried; he can’t even open the SIM tray to collect his SIM card.

“I was using the original charger and cable if you are wondering,” Crushader said. “Charred the hotel room bed sheet and the carpet when I whacked it down to the floor, burnt one of my finger [sic] while doing that too.”

According to Crushader, Samsung has been responsive to the incident, offering to take care of damages to the hotel. For his troubles, Crushader has reportedly been given a temporary loaner device until non-exploding Note 7 units are back in stock.

Last week, Samsung halted sales and announced a recall of the Note 7 due to a “battery cell issue.” While only a few cases were reported out of millions of devices, hearing that a hotel room got scorched underlines how serious the problem is.

Even if you’ve had no issues with your Note 7, there’s no reason not to take action. The good news is that Samsung has opened an exchange program for early adopters, which means you can trade in your (potentially dangerous) Note 7 for a brand new one beginning this week.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Subscribe To Our Mailing List

Powered by Campaign Monitor